Friday, October 23, 2009

ARCHITECTURE IN MOTION

The third workshop I have chosen to do is architecture in motion, the animation course. It involves us as students to create a fully fledged animation of the red centre telling a story about the space or how the building is used. We have to create the animation by hand drawing the sequences, scanning them and placing them into a program like imovie in order to animate them.

I have decided I wish to explore a particular part of the red centre, and its interaction with the outside environment. The area I wish to explore is the staircase on the building closest to Anzac parade, where one can look out along the university promenade.

MY ANIMATION CONCEPT

In my animation I want to explore the sense of sheer height and drop at one point within the red centre. ( The landing/staircase between level 4 and 5) I wish to convey the sense that the experience of this space from outside does not give a sense of its height, and the panoramic view it offers when looking out on the university. From outside this part of the building merely becomes another element within its whole as a looming geometric structure. I wish to explore how a play on perspectives can change a sense of the magnitude of the space.

My animation inspiration was an advertisment for coca cola called "Cokeheist" in which a group of bugs steal a bottle of coke from a sleeping picnicer. It shows a wide range of different perspectives and a sense of the magnitude of space for the bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment