Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ideas and drafts



This drafts page shows some of the sketches that I produced at the draft stage of the design process. The sketches of the King Street facade show different explorations of an idea which I wanted to portray based on a hotel which I read about in Holland. This hotel uses the idea of the classical elements of its historical buildings but multiplies these elements to the extreme, creating a facade which is very playful and fun but still remeniscent of the past.This would relate to the historical nature of Newtown and create a sense of the haphazrdness/ craziness which it seems to portray. I decided not to pursue this idea in my final scheme.



I chose to go with a much more subtle and open scheme with my facade based partly on the awnings of Goulds Book Shop, another shop along King Street.This awning has old posters stuck to its underside, showing a mish mash of different images, and a pleasant suprise for those passing under it. I want to do the same with my awning using pieces of junk in its construction to give a sense of delight to those passing under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment